Wednesday 5 March 2014

I must bake!

Compelled to bake following from the Borrowdale Teabread conversations of yesterday, I rushed home and soaked my dried fruit in tea ready to bake this evening.  That simple act of preparation, although essential for my longer term plans, didn’t go anywhere near to satisfying my immediate need to bake.  So I looked at the carrots in the fridge with a critical eye and before too Iong, had a carrot cake cooking gently in the oven. I brought some into my meeting in Chorley today and despite not having a topping on it (the healthy option), the reaction was very positive.
 
Carrot Cake Recipe
175g  muscovado sugar
2 eggs, beaten
125ml oil
175g SR flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1tsp cinnamon
1tsp nutmeg
150g grated carrot
100g sultanas or chopped walnuts
 
Light oven to 170degrees/Gas 3
Grease and line a 23cm square baking tin
Beat the egg into a bowl.
Add the oil
Stir in the sugar and mix well.
Sieve  the flour, bicarb and spices and stir in gently. Add the carrots and fruit or nuts and mix well.
Pour the batter into the lined tin and bake for 45 to 50 minutes until springy to the touch

No comments:

Post a Comment