Friday 8 October 2010

Reluctant Readers

Since watching Gareth Malone’s recent series featuring reluctant readers, I’ve been thinking about children’s literature and writing for boys in particular.  My understanding of small boys and poor reading habits is limited as Nerea is a voracious reader and after the age of 7, male children didn’t really feature as part of her social circle, but I know enough to appreciate that many boys do not read.  Gareth’s programme touched on various factors behind this but access to quality, interesting reading material was certainly an issue.  As an enthusiastic story telIer myself, I feel the need to do more research

1 comment:

  1. Reluctant boys readers like an exciting story that captures them from the first page, large font and text broken up with graphics.

    Pragmatic Mom
    http://PragmaticMom.com

    ReplyDelete