Tuesday 5 August 2014

The Day of the Triffids re-created

Until a couple of years ago, I hadn’t realised how extensive the invasion of Himalayan Balsam had become along river banks. And then I went on a geo-caching adventure to an island in the middle of the River Tyne at Hexham and I saw the evidence with my own eyes as I hacked my way through head height plants.  Yesterday, a caching friend and I re-visited the island, taking the same route and indeed, adopting the same bush-whacking techniques.  The novelty soon wore off and I began to reflect on the urgent need to control this vigorous, flourishing immigrant plant!

2 comments:

  1. You look like you're in the jungle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo is my friend Gerri, who is not as tall as me. But it was well over my head height! Evil stuff

      Delete