Saturday 6 February 2016

More marmalade

Despite my love of oranges, I have come late to marmalade making. Mum always made a few jars when the Seville oranges appeared in the greengrocers but for some reason, I never followed her example, possibly because Mr and Miss Glis prefer Marmite on toast.  But last year, I took the plunge and surprised myself by making a successful batch. So last weekend, when I saw a net of Seville oranges in Morrisons, I decided to make another lot.  And I was glad I did as not only did the house smell lovely but the end result is very tasty



Marmalade
1kg Seville oranges
2 lemons
1.5kg sugar
2L water

1. Wash the fruit and cut in half. Remove the pips and tie in a muslin square.
2. Thinly slice the fruit skin and place the strips in a large bowl. Add the bundle of pips, cover with the water and leave overnight.
3. The following day, pour the contents of the bowl into a large pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for an hour until the skin is soft.
4. Remove the bundle of pips from the pan and allow to cool.
5. Add the sugar to the pan and squeeze any residual juice from the bundle of the pips
6. Bring the pan to the boil, stirring continuously until the sugar dissolves. Boil rapidly for about 20 minutes or until setting point is reached
7. Allow to cool slightly before pouring into warmed jars and sealing



No comments:

Post a Comment