Tuesday 29 December 2015

Trying to make a Collin Street Bakery Cake!

Although I made my traditional Christmas cake this year, I also embarked on a different culinary journey. Many years ago, a friend who knew that I loved fruit cake gave me her unwanted gift of an American “Collins Street Bakery” Cake. It was so delicious, packed with dates and nuts that I made several attempts to recreate it but sadly, with limited success. And then this year, Google came up trumps…..I discovered a recipe that purported to deliver a cake tasting like the real thing. I’m delighted to say it wasn't far off, (as far as my taste buds remember)!

My version of Collin Street Bakery Fruit Cake
200g shelled pecans
200g candied cherries
200g candied pineapple
200g dates
100g flour
100g butter
100g sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2tsp vanilla extract
2tsp lemon extract  (optional)
1    Grease and line a loaf tin with baking parchment. Preheat oven to 130⁰C
2    Save a couple of nuts and cherries for the top of the cake. Chop the rest of the nuts and fruit into medium-size pieces.
3    Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
4    Beat in eggs.
5    Sift together the flour and baking powder fold into butter-egg mixture.
6    Stir in vanilla and lemon extracts. Blend in fruit and nuts.
7    Pour batter into prepared tin, placing saved fruit and nuts on top.
8     Place in oven and bake approx. 1.5 hours in loaf tin
9.    When done, remove from oven and cool in the tin before turning onto a cake rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment